Pages

Saturday 2 December 2017

Learning Curves

Good morning all.

This last week has been all about learning curves...steep ones at that!

I've had the Fujifilm X-T20 for a week now and mostly I'm loving it. I've been putting it through it's paces and I've taken nearly 800 pictures so far. I've got used to the increased weight and size and it no longer feels too big to hold. I've been fine tuning the set up which in turn helps understand what all the control buttons and dials are for.

Some of my first outtakes using the kit 18-55mm lens
The image of the berries (top right) is one I edited from RAW

One of the major problems I've had was viewing the RAW files on my computer. I downloaded Faststone Image Viewer, after a google search, and this worked okay to the point of saving the files as jpeg when it reduced everything to less than 500mb...a further google search sorted this out though. Another google search and I found Raw File Converter...this is where the fun started and I suddenly realised exactly what a RAW file was! Everything else had obviously been downloading/showing the jpeg within the RAW file and I had wondered when I'd read about flat images etc what the big deal was...now I knew and I hadn't a clue what to do with them. Added to this I lost a whole days shooting when the files hadn't downloaded properly before I re-formatted the memory card....you live and learn!

The camera is shooting in jpeg and RAW now until my photo editing skills get up to speed. My Christmas present includes a three month trial of Photoshop/Lightroom so I'm going to wait until then to sign up and start learning. I've had a go in Faststone with some of the RAW files with some degree of success but I find it's very time consuming and I don't think my photography skills warrant the extra efforts at this moment in time.

Carol x

1 comment:

  1. It sounds really interesting and your going to learn a lot so keep up with it and keep showing these amazing photo's that your capturing .....have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thank you for your visit today. Constructive comments are always welcome...I read all comments and try to answer any queries promptly. Carol x