Pages

Wednesday 25 October 2017

Capturing the Northern Lights

Good morning all.

"Capturing the Northern Lights" was the theme of the class eldest and I attended on Monday evening. There were only three of us in the class so there was plenty of opportunity to ask silly questions and iron out anything you weren't too sure about.

We started with a "when"....and the best way to find out if it's likely to happen is to go to 


You're looking for a Bz South if you're in our part of the UK...if it's north just go to bed with a good book! The higher the density and windspeed the more chance there is of seeing something.

My little Fujifilm XF1 wasn't going to be quite up to the job as I'd have problems getting it to focus but the rest of the settings were there so it would perhaps catch some colours....a good excuse to start looking for a better camera!!

 After class Gary and I went with the instructor to the local church to test out the settings...by this time it was cold and wet so not conducive to outdoor photography and nothing to see in the sky. I wasn't expecting my little camera to come up with anything like a decent picture...it didn't help that I couldn't see on the screen what I was aiming at either!! So I was rather chuffed to come up with a couple of credible shots...certainly way off the perfect mark but this was working at one end of the very extremes of the camera's capabilities.



Setting for both pictures: F1.8 2 sec shutter speed and ISO1600

We both came away having learned something...which is always a good thing, and eagerly await some activity in the sky to see if we can translate what we learned into fab photos of the Northern Lights....watch this space!!

Carol x

1 comment:

Hi and thank you for your visit today. Constructive comments are always welcome...I read all comments and try to answer any queries promptly. Carol x