Pages

Wednesday 18 October 2017

F-stops, Shutter Speed and ISO....

Good morning all.

Numbers, numbers and more numbers....all set to confuse you!

I am progressing on this journey...a few weeks ago I had no idea what F-stops, shutter speed or ISO were. I knew they existed but couldn't get my head around how they were inter-related and therefore how to use them...hence having a compact camera which had never been used on manual or semi-manual.

After five weeks I now understand the exposure triangle...putting it into practice is a whole new ball game, which I'm sure will come in time!!

A few practice pieces this week encompassing my first shots on manual:

Changing aperture and compensating with shutter speed.

Changing shutter speed and compensating with focus and iso.

Thanks to my model for sitting still so long....getting these shots right turned into an arduous task!!


I took the camera outside yesterday on a tripod and shot some pictures on the auto settings SP, EXR and auto comparing the settings shown on the camera as I took the pictures. As all three modes picked up F1.8 to take the shot, I changed to Aperture Priority and set that to F1.8 and again recorded the settings. I then moved to Shutter Priority and the camera would let me use a shutter speed between 125th and 1000th whilst still picking F1.8 so I took a picture at each end of the scale. I then changed the shutter speed to 200th which was the nearest to the auto SP setting which was set especially for flowers.

To the naked eye the pictures look much the same but the fifth one with the high ISO really enforced our homework for this week...learning how to compensate light when changing one of the factors by several stops...hence the large ISO compensating the fast shutter speed.

I think a light bulb came on!

Carol x

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this. Fstops and shutter speed, ISO were greek to me years ago when someone tried to help me with a new Nikon that did all the fancy stuff. I got so confused. Sold the Nikon and lens in a garage sale for about $20 when we left Fla. (Big, BIG loss!) Years ago I bought another Nikon, but not so expensive as this first one. It can do manual settings, but it also has settings for "dummies" which I use. Think you did a wonderful job with the model, and love your floral pictures. DH bought a tripod for me, so that I could do videos. Not done a video yet!!! Hugs & good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thank you for your visit today. Constructive comments are always welcome...I read all comments and try to answer any queries promptly. Carol x